Saturday, January 18, 2020

Continuing the WNY Winter Hiking Challenge


Last weekend I started the WNY Winter Hiking Challenge with the ambition to complete not just the minimum 6 trails, but all 9 trails (and a bonus hike) in the same day. If you read my previous entry, you already know the outcome of that epic day of hiking.  If you haven't read it yet, you can find it here.

At the start of this day, I have completed 5 of the 9 trails.  My goal is to still complete all of the hikes, but I'll be taking my time today to enjoy the challenge.

Unlike last weekend, the weather today finally feels like winter.  The temps are in the low 30s and an overnight showers have provided a fresh coat of snow on the ground.

Trail #6 of 9 - Zoar Valley Multiple Use Area - Valentine Flats

I love rafting and guiding in Zoar Valley in the spring, but I haven't spent much time here during the winter months.  Of all of the trails in the hiking challenge, this is the one that I spent the most time preparing for.  You should always prepare for any hike of adventure outdoors, but Zoar Valley presents it's own unique challenges if something were to go wrong.

The drive to the parking area wasn't bad but when I turned onto Point Peter Road, I realized I was in for a treat today.


The road was completely covered in snow, no plow marks, no tire tracks, no signs that anyone but me would be on the trail this morning.  Just a fresh coat of snow.  I happily put my truck into 4WD and continued on to the parking area.

The trailhead to the Zoar Valley MUA
In addition to my normal essential items, I've brought a few extra items today.   Extra water, food and supplies, just in case I want to spent a bit longer on the trail.  I've also brought along my new micro spikes.  With the fresh snow, it will be a good test of the spikes which slip on over boots.

I text my wife and let her know that I'm heading out on the trail and will be back in a few hours.  The plan is to text her when get back to the parking so that someone knows where I am and that all is well.

After passing the gate and a short walk down the trail, it's time to make a decision.  Go left and head up to Peter's Point or go right and head down into the gorge.  Today, we will be heading down into the gorge.


The trail down into the gorge is a gentle slope, and as expected there are no other human footprints anywhere to be seen.  I do pass a number of animal tracks.  From what I can see, the fox, rabbits other animals have been busy overnight.

As I head down the trail, there is only one item that bothers me.  The trail markers chosen for this trail are small red circles.  Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but at this time of the year I've noticed that the trail markers blend into the background quite well and are difficult to spot at times. Normally this may not be an issue as you can see a fairly distinct trail from foot traffic, but today, it is just that fresh coat of snow.

When I reached the bottom of the gorge, I realized that I don't see any trail markers anywhere.  There is what appears to be a clean path in front of me, but looking further into the forest, I still don't see the trail markers. If you find yourself in this situation, turn around and follow your footsteps back to the last marker you see.  Then turn back around to the direction you want to go and look again for the next marker.

 In my case, I took several things into account to decide on my next move.

1.  I know where I am in the gorge, and I have my map and compass with me along with my GPS app on my phone which has the coordinates for my way points all preset and saved.

2.  I have two extremely identifiable landmarks in front of me if I keep moving forward (Pyramid Hill and the South Branch of the Cattaraugus Creek).  If I get to the hill, I can use it to pickup the trail again.  If I follow the flow of the South Branch of the Cattaraugus Creek, I will pickup the trail again where the South Branch meets up with the main branch of the river.

3.  I have plenty of supplies and my wife know my expected timeline and planned route.

I continued forward on the "trail" I saw in front of me.  After following it for a bit (based on the number of the animal tracks I see) I'm guessing this is a favorite root for the animals in the area.

After I short walk I come upon Pyramid hill and find my way back onto the foot trail again.  My spikes are working well, the only downside is that I am having to stop and knockoff the buildup of snow, mud and ice that keeps building up on my feet.  On the plus side, traction is not an issue.

I finally reach the challenge target for the trail, the Giant Fluted Cliffs near the confluence of the branches of the river.

Desired destination landmark achieved!
Time to head back to the parking lot.

The climb down wasn't bad, but climbing back up reminds me just how far we descended into the gorge (almost 200 feet).  I take my time climbing back up, but I know that I'm getting close to the time limit that I had given my wife earlier.

Luckily the cell coverage in this part of the trail isn't bad and I'm able to send a message to let her know that I am okay and just enjoying the views.

On the way back up, I run into other people for the first time today.  It's just after noon and a two small groups are starting their hikes for the day.

Trail #6 complete.  I have completed the challenge, but I'm ready to continue on with the remaining hikes.  The plan is still to complete all 9 trails.


Trail #7 of 9 - Franklin Gulf County Park

A short drive from Zoar Valley to North Collins and I'm in the parking lot at Franklin Gulf. Unlike my first hike of the day, I won't be alone on the trails here.  The parking lot is almost full and there is just enough room for me to park.

Franklin Gulf County Park Welcome Sign.
On this hike we are looking for the remains of another cabin.   A direct hike to the remains and back to the parking lot is just over a mile and is a mostly flat hike.  If you wish to do this, head to the left at the trail head and follow the orange trail back into the woods.  

I head to the right and plan to take the long way around to the cabin.   The trails here are muddy and not getting any better. I finally turn around and head down the orange trail in search of the cabin.

There are other hikers on the trails, some with dogs, others with friends and some alone.  Even with all of these people on the trail, it is still quite and the views are amazing.



I'm taking my time this afternoon as this is the last hike I have planned for the day. I wonder along the trail and finally come upon the remains of the Larkin Cabin.  


The Larkin Cabin.
The foundation and chimney are all that are left of what had to have been a great place to get away during it's day. 

Seven trails down, two to go.  

The look of another satisfying day on the trails.
Check back for my next entry where I'll be completing the remaining trails for the challenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Exploring Letchworth State Park - Winter Edition

 I've always enjoyed being outdoors in nature.   Everything moves a little slower, there's less distractions and I'm a happier h...