Wednesday, January 1, 2020

An Epic Day of Hiking - Taking on the WNY Winter Hiking Challenge


Earlier this year I started the trek to complete the Allegany 18 hiking challenge (I will be completing this in the spring), but recently my friend at Outside Chronicles created a winter hiking challenge.  The goal is to complete 6 of 9 local hiking trails.   On each trail you need to locate a challenge marker and take a selfie to show that you were there.

I joined the challenge thinking that it would be fun to just get a few winter hikes in and maybe get a chance to test out my new snowshoes. After reviewing the trail maps, locations and travel time to each hike a new thought came to me.   Is it possible to complete not just the minimum 6 trails, but all 9 trails in a single day.

Total travel time to all of the trails from my home was just over 3 hours.  At this time of year there is about 11 hours of daylight.   It would be tough but I might just be able to pull this off. 
Besides the time and daylight, any number of things could go wrong and I would need all of my extra equipment and preparation to accomplish this.

The weather forecast for the day of my hikes was not winter conditions at all.  I would be hiking in late December in Western New York in 40 degree weather and sunshine.   With the temps and lack of snow, no need to bring the snowshoes.

I spent the day before the hike checking and double-checking my gear and supplies.  Packing my 10 essentials, and then bringing extra clothes, gloves, shoes, and backups of as much stuff as possible.   Each trail is relatively easy to complete but anything can happen so be as prepared as possible.

I also planned to add one additional hike.   I like nice round numbers so the goal for the day is to complete 10 trails.

The day of the hike arrived and I woke up at 6:00 AM to start my day.   The first hike would be the trail o am most familiar with and feel comfortable doing in the dark.

Trail #1 - Lockport Nature Trail

The trail is relatively short and a nice easy beginners hike.   I reached the trail head at 6:30 AM and started up to my objective, a small waterfall that I often hike to when I want to find peace and serenity in the world. I was the only person on the trail and did run into a few deer before reaching the falls. A quick photo and I'm on my way back to the parking lot and on my way to the second trail of the day.


Trail #2 - Reinstein Woods Nature Preserve

The objective here is to locate the Champion Beech Tree.  Based on the map this should be another quick hike.

Reinstein's trails are well maintained and marked and there is a kiosk at the entrance to the park with maps and sign in/out sheets.  Make sure that you check in and check-out on any trails that offer this (even if you have already left your itinerary with others).

It's still early in the day and I'm the only one on the trails when I check in. The trails are a bit muddy but overall wide and easy to follow.   On my way to the marker I stopped to enjoy the views of the pond and the Stone Cottage.

Stone Cottage - Reinstein Woods Nature Preserve.

The beech is a short walk past the pond.  Time for the first challenge photo of the day.  Unfortunately the Champion Beech tree (one of the oldest trees in the area at over 250 years old) was recently declared dead by the preserve.

Photo taken and heading back to the truck for our next hike.   So far we are still on pace to complete the trails by nightfall.



Trail #3 - Knox Farm State Park

Knox Farm State Park takes you through the former estate of the Knox family.  The trails here are mostly grass paths and horse trails. As you walk through the woods take a moment to stop and check-out the lending library in the woods.   It's a great place to sit and enjoy a morning of quiet reading.

The landmark we are looking for here in a a small pond on the outer loop. After walking through a series of horse trails I found the small pond. Picture taken, and on to the next trail.


Trail #4 - Sgt. Mark A. Rademacher Memorial Park/Hunters Creek

The trails at Hunters Creek offer options for horseback riding, mountain biking, hiking, snowshoeing and cross country skiing. The landmark we are looking for here is the remains of the Kellogg family hunting lodge.

I started down the trails to the right of the trail head and descended down into the gorge.  For the first time today this is starting to feel like a winter hike. The path leading into the gorge is snow covered and icy in many spots. 

Always keep a watchful eye for trail makers.
While the trails are marked there are so many trails criss-crossing through the park that it is easy to get lost or find yourself on the wrong trail. The park does have intersections marked and I found this to be the best way to navigate the trails. I got turned around a few times on the trail but eventually located the cabin ruins (only the foundation and chimney are still visible).
Success!
Four trails down and it is just before noon.   The longest trails are still ahead.

Trail #5 - Erie County Forest - Old Scarbuck Trail

This is one of the easier trails for the day so the plan is to makeup time.   We are looking for "A Bridge Too Far". Stop by the shelter and check the maps.  Cross over the bridge and you can either head left or to the right.   I chose to stay to the right as this is the quickest path to the landmark. The paths on this trail are littered with tree roots so be careful with your foot placement. 

I finally see a bridge on an island off to the side but I see no marking on it saying it is a bridge too far.  However in looking at the topographical map the features appear to match up. The challenge does list GPS coordinates but my phone app is not working here so I cannot verify the coordinates exactly. 

I take a quick picture and head back to the truck.   I'll be meeting up with Mike, the person that created this challenge to do one of the longer trails of the day.


Trail #6 - Sprague Brook Park

For the first time today I pull out my hiking poles. I meet up with a small group at the parking lot and we head up the trails. The trails here are used for hiking, snowmobile riding and mountain biking.

About a mile into the hike I feel my hips starting to tighten up.   I don't want to turn around, but I'm starting to think this may turn into a multiple day adventure. I take a couple ibuprofen and trudge on. I'm moving slower than the rest of the group but still pushing forward. 

Mike passes the time by teaching all of us about tree identification and fauna growing in the park. We finally make it to the uniquely shaped tree and stop for photos before returning to the parking lot.

My hip is starting to feel like that tree looks - old and haggard.
Mike and I talk in the parking lot. I've ruled out completing all nine trails today but perhaps I can still do eternal flame before nightfall. It's just after 3:00 PM so there is still a couple of hours of daylight left. 

While talking I ask Mike about the Bridge too Far marker and what happened to the signs on the bridge. It's at this point I realize I took the picture at the wrong bridge on the trail.

My legs are tired and going back to get the right picture at Erie County Forest and completing another trail before sunset isn't possible so it's decision time....................

Trail #7 - Erie County Forest - Again!!

Always have a backup and double/triple check your coordinates when doing a challenge. I wander back into the woods and go back to the first bridge from earlier in the day.  I return to the trail and continue moving forward.

At this point I come to a wooden plank bridge that crosses over a small ravine.  Unfortunately the far end of the bridge has sink down into the ravine. I walk around to the edge of the ravine and cross to the other side. After a few more minutes of walking I finally spot the Bridge Too Far (complete and intact with signs). 

There it is, "A Bridge Too Far".
Walking back to the truck I realize that my hopes of completing the challenge in one day have been dashed but, there is a positive.   Now I have an excuse to head back out later this week and complete the remaining trails.  To top if off, on the way home I saw this perfect sunset to the end of a great day.

A perfect ending to a great day outside!
Look for my next blog on the completion of this challenge.

1 comment:

Exploring Letchworth State Park - Winter Edition

 I've always enjoyed being outdoors in nature.   Everything moves a little slower, there's less distractions and I'm a happier h...