Monday, April 1, 2019

Hiking in the Lower Niagara Gorge

By: Nikki Andrews
When the water is low you can adventure out onto the flats!

Living in Western New York can be trying sometimes with our constant changing weather. But one of the things that I love the most about living in the north towns is being so close to such a beautiful place, the lower Niagara Gorge. Made up of multiple parks, there is Whirlpool State Park, Devils hole State Park, Art Park, and the Niagara Gorge Discovery Center. There are miles of trails, stunning views, cotton candy sunsets, and places to hang my hammock.

This is a great spot for relaxing! 
My favorite "chill" spot, right between "Devil's Hole" and "Whirlpool"
Most people would probably think that you could only hike here in the Summer, but I am here to tell you that I hike it almost weekly, all year round. There are so many trails and mysteries, that I am finding new things every time I go. I am never disappointed.

Cement steps leading down to the river by the old water intake.

The most common questions I get are; "Isn’t it dangerous?" and; "Don’t you get worried about hiking down there alone?". To be completely honest, I have never once felt afraid or concerned going down there. Sometimes I take my dogs, or a friend, or I just go alone with my hammock. No matter the case, I enjoy every minute of this place. For some reason people seem to think that the Lower Gorge or Devils hole specifically is overrun with degenerates who want to rob and rape you, but I can tell you, as a young woman, I have never witnessed nor felt fear of any kind down here. Not to say you shouldn’t be wary, because you should anywhere you go, but I think this place just has a bad rep and more people should experience the beauty that it has to offer.

A view of the American Falls from the bottom of the stairs by the old water intake.


My dogs are happy when they hike all the stairs at Whirlpool, even in the winter!

I find coming here feeds my soul and brings me peace. Most people probably don’t know all the hidden gems back here, from car ruins, abandon buildings, minerals and even remnants of the old power station, even some cool artifacts I've been able to turn into museums. There are caves and tunnels, giant boulders, fire pits, lunch hang outs, cool stairways and old observations decks. And when the water is low, there are exposed flats of rock beds that you can wander out on to. I wouldn’t recommend doing that with small children though.

Remnants of old cars can be found along the trail.



I named this "Turtle Rock". It's behind the Discover Center and is one of my favorite spots to hang out on s Sunday afternoon.

I learned recently is that you can actually hike from Art Park all the way to Whirlpool State Park. It takes about 5-6 hours to round trip it, for an average hiker. There is everything from waterfalls, to bridges and caves. Its about 20 miles round trip but an easy hike for someone who hikes regularly. Pack a lunch and make a day of it! You wont be disappointed. Just a note though, they still haven't connected the Whirlpool Trails to the Discovery center trails, but I have heard rumors that there are plans to do so. So if you are feeling extremely motivated, you could walk the Robert Moses to get to the Discovery center Trails to continue your adventure. But my recommendation is to go to each section separately so you can spend time exploring. 

Start here in Art Park by this lovely little waterfall and finish at the observation deck at Whirlpool.




A view upriver from the old ruin of the observation deck at the end of the Whirlpool Trail. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Exploring Letchworth State Park - Winter Edition

 I've always enjoyed being outdoors in nature.   Everything moves a little slower, there's less distractions and I'm a happier h...